Monday 12 December 2011

Can cinnamon help to control blood sugar?

According to Jeff O'Connell in his book Sugar Nation he came across this, little know to me anyway, gem of research which  indicates that cinnamon may help reduce blood glucose levels.  He writes 'A pair of studies found promising results, reductions in blood glucose levels of 20 percent or so'  Other studies have also looked at cinnamon for reduction of blood glucose levels but not with the same results. 

Cinnamon has an active ingredient called hydroxychalcone, which seems to improve insulin sensitivity.  Whether it is the cheap  or the expensive version of the spice it does not seem to matter.  Like O'Connell I will be adding it to everything that I can.  Whether proven or not it is a lovely tasting spice and will not do my any harm.  It could even help with my blood glucose levels.

No comments:

Post a Comment